Thread: [Fic] The Devil Within
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
The_Catto
The Rhythm Schism

Current Game: KotOR
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Part Two: Fallen

When does a mind become nothing more than a glimpse into a heart that can no longer feel anything other than hate, depravity, lust or fear? Is it after years of mindless killing, or just a second of longing for the ability to forgive? For some people, these things are but for nothing else than just a dream of something different to what has really come to be. A sense of a feeling of just how deeply they’ve fallen into the dark, dark depths of the hole that they have built for themselves as a means of escape. But for some, the hole cannot get deep enough. They continue to dig until even they cannot see the light from above but still they dig. They dig in hope for something, anything, which can relieve them of the burden.

How folly some minds can truly be …

Jonas walked through the rooms and walkways of the Ebon Hawk. Considering the limited selection of tools, Atton and T3 did a considerably well-done job in repairing her exterior and interior. It wasn’t five star accommodations, but it was better than a useless pile of scrap. He walked in and around the corridors until every piece, down to the millimetre was imbedded into his memory. Jonas knew this ship almost as well as he knew himself. It had been his home for some months and now he could not even think to be parted with it.

He was thinking; it seemed he did little else these days. He came to the Port Dormitory but stopped at the entrance for a few minutes before finally venturing in. This was where Kreia had spent most of her time. She had taught him so much about the Force, and himself, but it took until he cast her down with the final stroke that he realized. He realized just how important those lessons she had taught him were. He felt ashamed when he thought back to all of the times he had criticized her and her teachings, because now when he thinks about it, she probably knew more than he would ever know in his lifetime.

“I know what you’re doing,”

He quickly turned and noticed Atton standing in the doorway. “Why so jumpy?” he smirked.

“It’s been a jumpy week,” he replied with a little hint of a smile.

“That it has,” agreed Atton. “But that’s changed now: in the past,” he pierced Jonas with his gaze. “I know what you’re doing,”

Jonas raised an eyebrow. “Oh?” he said. “And what is it that I am doing?”

“You’re leaving,”

“Not yet,”

“But soon?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’m coming with you.”

“No you’re not,” said Jonas. “I have a mission for you. Remember when we were on Onderon?”

Atton nodded. He didn’t say anything, but Jonas knew that the previous discussion was not over yet.

“The Force Sensitives that Vaklu promised me?”

Again, Atton nodded.

“You are to train them.”

Atton raised both of his eyes brow high they disappeared under his short fringe. “Me? Train them? You’re kidding, right?”

“I am not,” answered Jonas. “Atton, the galaxy is ruined. It’s crumbling in on itself and it is all because of the war against the Jedi and Sith. We are the death of the Force. And if we are to remain living in this galaxy, then there must be no sides to the Pazaak table. There must be equilibrium.”

“What are you saying, exactly?”

“I am saying that you are to train them in both sides of the Force: To learn every aspect of the light and dark sides. It is the only way to heal the republic.”

“If that’s what you want, consider it done,” said Atton. “After we come back from wherever you’re going,”

Jonas shook his head. “You do not understand,” he said. “And that is why you must stay behind. Revan left alone; I will leave alone. It’s what has to be done. You will train the Apprentices. I have thought it all out, Atton and this is what you will do: Take the strongest of the Apprentices to Coruscant. Use the library there. Gather all of the Holocrons you can, Jedi and Sith alike. The others that are left behind take them to Dantooine and Korriban. Occupy the Academies there. A new age is beginning. I will need you there to lead it,”

A few moments passed. Then Atton began to nod his head. “Fair enough,” he said. “I’ll do that. When are you going?”

“I’m not sure,”

“Are you going to speak to her before you leave?”

Jonas knew who Atton meant. “I guess I’ll have to,” he said. “Where is she?”

Atton scoffed. “Where she always is! You Jedi like to stick to spots like a mynock to a ship!”

Jonas smiled and nodded his head. Atton left and Jonas turned back towards the center of the Dormitory.

A slight smile of acknowledgement spread itself across Jonas's lips. "I've finally awakened," he said, before turning back around and leaving the room.

His breath became uneven as he approached her room. It felt like he had just run a light year. It was unbelievable what he felt; he had never felt such a thing before. It scared almost as much as it intrigued him.

He approached the door and she stood up and turned to face him.

“I know why you have come,” she said. “Your intentions are as clear as a Krayt Dragon in the main street of Anchorhead on Tattooine.”

“And here I was going for a more subtle approach,” he smirked. ‘What is it with all of these similes?’ he thought to himself.

A flutter of a smile caressed her lips. “I knew you would follow him. It is the way in which I follow you. It is the destiny of everyone to follow someone, even though most do not know it. Thankfully you do,”

“Why is that thankful?”

“Because if you do not understand that truth then you will wander
aimlessly for eternity when you pass on from this life.”

“Possibly,” remarked Jonas. “I don’t really think of such things,”

“And you shouldn’t,”

Jonas looked at Visas. “I have not admitted this to anyone but I’m worried. What if I can not succeed in what I must do?”

“The hardest battle is not fought with lightsabers or blasters, or even the Force,” said Visas. “It is the battle against the devil that lies within yourself. Conquer that, and you can conquer anything.”

Jonas nodded. “Wise,” he said.

“I learn,” smirked Visas.

A small laugh escaped Jonas’s lips. “And teaching it seems,”

“I do what I can,” she said. Jonas raised an eyebrow. “You’re talking liked a certain person I used to know,”

“Oh?” she said. “Who is that?”

“Me,”

“Hmm,”

An awkward silence followed where Jonas continued to look at Visas. Her hurt and damaged core was what made him think of her more than what he should because they reminded him of himself.

“I’ll leave you to your meditation then,”

Visas bowed her head slightly and sat back down. He only waited a few more seconds before he too left to meditate.

As he approached the Port Dormitory, a familiar presence came over him and he laughed slightly. “Don’t say it. I already know that that can never be,”

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” said the faint fragile voice of his old master.

Last edited by The_Catto; 12-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.
The_Catto is offline   you may: quote & reply,