View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Yeah, he made a threat and was holding a knife. But shooting him to death is a little excessive, don't you think?
Congratulations on your promotion to moderator. <snipped>

No, it's not excessive. He had a weapon and threatened to kill an officer (allegedly).

Quote:
Shooting to kill isn't well trained. You are trained to kill only if it is the last resort.
Shooting to kill is precisely well-trained. If you have to shoot, shoot to kill.

Quote:
Where were the stun guns?
This is actually a good question. Being that it took place in Australia, there is no guarantee that they were available.

Quote:
The shots to the shin, knees, legs, even shoulder?
In the movies where that kinda stuff takes place.

Quote:
The less than lethal bullets?
Another good question but again, might not be standard issue or part of the weapons training in Australia.

Better question: Where were the parents that should've taught their kid never to threaten to kill police officers?

Quote:
Unless he was charging them full run with the knife ready to go into his neck, I believe the officers overreacted to a situation that could have easily have been less than lethal.
IIRC from the article, the incident took place in a stairwell. Anything less than 7 yards is considered an eminent threat. The police had no way of knowing if the kid was on drugs, etc. Yes, it's a shame that a young man died, but he seemed to go into this knowing that would be the outcome. Let's not absolve him of his role in this incident.

Quote:
Do some people pretty much ask to be shot? Yeah, but when necessary.
Like when they threaten to kill you?

Quote:
The officers overreacted to the situation, and chose the easiest route.

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with cop training, but I doubt the training manual says shoot to kill first.
"Shoot to kill first" as in shoot to kill before doing anything else? No. "Shoot to kill first" as in when you shoot, shoot to kill? Yes. Well, technically it says something to the effect of "aim for center of mass" (i.e. the center of the torso).

Quote:
And if it does, that may answer a few questions.
Cool.

Quote:
Although the article is very vague on details, so that may just be speculation on my part. But still, 3 officers shooting him dead over a knife and a threat? I'm not all that well with a gun, but It isn't that hard to aim a foot lower and take out his ability to walk.
That only happens in the movies and television shows.

Last edited by jonathan7; 12-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,