View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
A man wanting to help a crash victim out of her car accidentally injured her and made her a paraplegic. She has sued him. Case was ruled in her favor I heard.
Well, if you're not trained and you make a stupid mistake that cost the woman the use of her legs when there was no imminent danger, you deserve to be sued. Oh, and good source, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Which, needless to say, is WHY they tell you to leave rescue to the professionals. I suppose if the woman was not in any mortal danger that, yes, the man should have just stayed there with her and not forced the issue. Still, he was only trying to help.
If there were any imminent danger that resulted in him saving her life, the case would not have been ruled in her favor. Basically, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by you
I know there are punishments out there for failing to assist in an emergency but do we need a law telling us we can't help out someone in danger? This is a bit of a dilemma. Contradicting laws. I'd hate for there to be two contrary laws and for it to be decided by an arbitrary (and usually very grim) district attorney.
Wow, way to stereotype. If you're trained (such as a Lifeguard or First Aid Certification like I have) and you help someone, then the Good Samaritan Law protects you from liability. And I'd also like to see a source where there's a punishment for failing to assist. AFAIK, there's no penalty for not helping someone, unless you have a special case (such as if you are a fireman, or an EMT).
Quote:
Originally Posted by you
What do you think about this unfortunate turn of events and its implications???
I think you should provide an adequate source because the way you presented it seems to have factual inaccuracies.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,