View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #54
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
That holds no logic, the only reason you wouldn't want to be tied to the Geneva Convention, would be so you could torture detainee's. The fact that Gitmo doesn't tie itself to the GC, is already slipping to what the terrorists do, and water boarding is certainly only just above what they do to our boys when they are captured. Most concerning is the instince by some morons in your government (Rumsfeld) that torture is useful, it is a psychologically proven fact that you don't get reliable intelligence from individuals who have been subjected to torture; everyone has a breaking point, and once that is reached an individual will tell you what they think you want to hear.

On-topic, Gitmo shouldn't be closed, it should be brought under the Geneva Convention, and all those there should just be put through due process, and those who are innocent let go.
Having been through SERE training myself, I know about how useless torture is at gaining useful information. There are however information gathering techniques that fall into a gray area of "torture" while not being actual torture(note: waterboarding is not one of them, but sleep dep is). But there are other areas of protections provided by the GC that have nothing to do with torture that these persons should not need to be afforded(though actually are). All in all we really treat them(for the most part at least) better than most treat their POW's. The negatives have been exaggerated by the media(not because of liberal bias or anything, but because as one media talking head said, "You don't report on a house that isn't burning"), but the detainees there are getting better treatment than people think.

I have to say though, that I really do not think much needs to be changed. Get rid of the ineffective means of information gathering.

Of course, there is also the possibility that there is no torture going on, and the reported cases are actually a method of injecting fear into the detainees. But I wouldn't count on it.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,