View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavardes View Post
1. All we ever do is speculate and throw evidence around. I can't prove my arguments hold water, but you also can't prove it doesn't. Not absolutely, anyway. :P
I don't need to: the burden of proof for your argument is yours, not mine.

Either you have a convincing argument for why I should accept that your view makes sense or you do not. If your argument is that "it's all arbitrary", then that means that your arguments themselves fit inside that definition.

Quote:
2. Exactly. So how can we say that just because our sciences, constructs used for "observing and labeling", are absolute? We can't find absolute truths if we don't have tools with likewise characteristics.
BS.

All we need is observation and repeatability. And for a great deal of things, we have both in spades.

Quote:
3. No, I'm saying that just because you have labels for everything, doesn't mean that what you see is the same. Labels are all well and good, but they're just physical constructs to put mental impulses into a transferable form. It's a simplification, not a basis for proving that it has to absolutely be the same if you all say the same thing.
Per my earlier example, if we all went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, we would all agree that it starred Brad Pitt. If your argument is foiled by something as fleeting as a recent movie, then I don't know how it could stand up to something timeless and fundamental like mathematics.

Quote:
4. Yup. I'm willing to accept that my argument has flaws. Just like yours.

For reasons I've already pointed out, your arguments fail under their own weight and shouldn't be accepted by anyone. Either you can do better or you cannot. If you can, please do so. If you cannot, please move along. Thanks.
Achilles is offline   you may: