View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavardes View Post
Never said they couldn't exist. I said they don't exist insofar as WE know. Humanity is too subjective.
And I'll go back to my second post in this thread and ask how you intend to support this claim. The burden of proof is yours.

Quote:
Not really. My argument seeks to disprove any absolute truths known to man.
Your argument is itself an absolute truth. In order for your argument to be true, it must also be not true. This is why no one it taking your argument seriously (except you).

Quote:
Pretty much exactly what I've been saying. Subjectivity exists, in varying degrees, to humanity. Humans can't be absolutely objective.
And as I've already stated for universal absolutes, they don't have to be. You keep conveniently ignoring that part.

Quote:
That's neat. Just because you won't seriously consider it because I for some reason can't align it to your qualifications doesn't make it any less valid, I'm afraid.
Neither does it tell us why we should take your argument seriously. A lack of evidence for Bigfoot doesn't mean that Bigfoot doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean that we should all accept that Bigfoot is real either.

Quote:
Since the concepts and definitions of "proof", "validity", or "seriously considerable" are all, by the logic of my argument, debatably subjective, then it stands to reason that my point is just as valid as yours.
The problem here being that your premises are flawed. No doubt that the conclusion that you've come to is consistent with your argument, but with a flawed argument, all the consistency in the world isn't going to make you right. And that's the point.

Quote:
The only difference is, you're willing to dismiss things and deal in absolutes, and I am not.
Dismiss what? "Things" is a little vague.

Last edited by Achilles; 01-04-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: corrected reference
Achilles is offline   you may: