View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #465
Char Ell
@Char Ell
Force Enlightened
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Ive been beta testing for htpc functionality since pre-beta and am down for DX testing later. For general stuff though, I dont think the average user will notice much of difference from vista in this public beta. A lot of cynical(and possibly correct) types are saying W7 is 'vista how it should have been'
I've been thinking about putting together an HTPC but figured I would wait for Windows 7 Media Center Edition.
I think I'll buy another hard drive and install Windows 7 64-bit beta as a dual-boot on my existing PC. I'll have to see how my Pentium 4 runs it. I'm kind of surprised that Windows 7 will still have a 32-bit version but maybe native 32-bit support will stop with Windows 8.

Contrary to what others around the interwebs(including MS sources) have intermittently stated, W7 does not sport a spankin new kernel, just a tweaked, revised 6.0(now 6.1) Which makes me wonder why they call it W7
Is this where I say lolz? And was that a rhetorical question? Sounds like Windows 7 is shaping up to be like Windows XP was to Windows 2000.

In other news, the GTX 285 and 295 were officially released today. Ok nvidia, hurry up with the GTX300 already :P
2009 Q4 maybe? I definitely won't upgrade my 9800 GTX+ until the next generation of GPU's is released. The process shrink to 55 nm is great and all but that is why I waited for the 9800 GTX+ (which should have been called a 9850 or 9900 GTX ) so I'm going to wait and see what the next generation has to offer in terms of performance/power consumption. Will AMD go with 45 nm process on their next GPU version? Will NVIDIA go with TSMC's 40 nm process for theirs? Not sure so I guess by the end of this year we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,