View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I clicked on this thread expecting it to be some wacky story about the US Army literally invading a mall for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Your OP only asks for very broad, non-specific 'thoughts' on this and did not ask if it was appropriate for the military to do this.
Actually, I was asking which of those two responses should be the one I should adopt.

Quote:
All I was saying was that the program is apparently effective from a recruitment standpoint and the opinion that we'd admire it if it were in any industry except the military.
And in my opinion not everyone would share that admiration.

Quote:
I never made commentary on whether it's right for the military to do this. If they are evaluating their target audience to determine the most effective marketing strategies and then utilizing that information for recruitment and it's successful, that technique is no different than any other company evaluating their target customers and devising a marketing strategy to best reach them.
Joe Camel.

Quote:
If the military is intentionally deceiving people with this recruiting tactic, then I have serious problems with that, and I'm not too excited about glorifying extreme violence anyway (whether or not it's for military recruitment).
I guess that depends on whether or not we consider glorifying violence for young people as being intentionally deceptive.

Quote:
Business simulation games? I think a game called "Read reams of profit statements and go to endless meetings to discuss prevention of EEOC suits!!!!" would probably drive people away.
Yes, if we let people who grossly oversimplified business program games which fit those erroneous stereotypes, then I don't imagine very many people would be interested in playing.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,