View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #22
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,278
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Don't get me wrong, I am proud of the military. It's just that I don't see that dragging things out is in the best interests of their troops or their people. While I appreciate our military, our specific topic here is, however, about recruitment and recruitment tactics (unless I'm mistaken). Since I have a sour outlook on this, I will sound unappreciative of our military. That's not true. I support the troops.

The military, you have to admire their candor and their wit. They have some pretty innovative ways of recruitment. They evolve over time. Very effective. Now branching out to video games. I didn't join because I didn't believe they had my best interests at heart, since in their eyes I held little potential anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
@GTA: as to the parents that really aren't parents...I don't know...maybe those are the kids who could benefit most from the positive things the military offers. (discipline, professional training etc...) I'm not trying to sound like a recruiter, but my time in the Navy helped me get the the job I have now and it was because I did have training, and I had discipline and a work ethic. I don't know what else to say to your scenario really, the children of those parents deserve better, but nobody is perfect I suppose. (For the record parents like that irritate the hell out of me.)
Well, you raise a good point which was sort of on my mind. I've known of people who actually say that for all its agony, the military was an improvement over their young lives. Furthermore, yeah it can help find some line of work, etc., I was speaking more on the parents who just can't or don't/won't make time in general. PM me, we should chat on this. If you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA
I think I can honestly say my recruiter never told me a bold faced lie. The only thing I didn't like that he did was try to get me put in the nuclear program (probably because he got a bonus if he did I'm sure) which I wanted no part of because I suck at math and science and that's basically all it was. I'm thankful I ended up in the non-nuclear Navy.
Vets I know were told "shaded truths" mixed in with some outright lies as details (from an intentionally uninformed position so you cannot accuse them of *knowingly* lying--effective policy, too). The marine vets I know have all said that they lure you in, telling you something to the effect of "no matter what they'll make sure you can do what you want to do for a career." They didn't say, however:
1) the initial period you'd first do what *they* wanted you to do and wait hand and foot on them (While I don't like that deception, personally, I still see how it is an effective policy for filling quota and in general). Even so it is their decision at their whim. While I don't know anybody whose been completely denied, it gets dragged out more and more depending on what it is you want.
2) You have to qualify on 'their' tests--everyone gets the same tests. The 'consideration' to different learning styles is bull. They have multiple all encompassing tests in different areas. Shading the truth.
3) The guy chatting you up knows a lot in general and can contact "satisfied customers". In reality these people are uninformed as to the specifics. (again, intentionally uninformed, of course)
4) They can override your decisions to suit their needs...You want to be a Laser Engineer? Oh, but your broadcast experience could serve us nicely. (Never mind that half that time was done grudgingly because I'm are one for finishing my commitments and found halfway through I didn't want to do that. Or that it's dishonesty and utter BS and I wished to wash my hands from it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
<snip>The recruiters and the videos, pictures, power points they showed the multiple times they were there. The "If you sign up, you're a real American" and "Those that served are better than those pesky civilians" attitude that stagnated
You mean emanated, or perhaps wreaking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
from them like a rotting corpse. The little change in tone whenever they spoke about those "civilians", like being one was like spitting on the flag.
Ah. How patronizing-not the best tactic or mentality for recruiting the masses. Can't hide their contempt. Biting the hands of outside civilians who support them. Still, I contribute for the troops because that's who I care for--not the approval of their superiors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
Plus, they wouldn't let me in even if I wanted in anyway. And before someone points it out: yes, I do have an irrational dislike of the military.
Not completely irrational--you found them insulting. However, what makes you think that they don't have some kind of 'need' or 'use' for anybody and everybody they can get?

I'll never forget how they initially tried me. Dude waiting in the career corner of my HS library. Takes me in the back room. Though it was a friendly interview with all sorts of materials and no homework done on my past...it felt more like some guilt-tripping interrogation at a police station. Ensuing interviews later on, their intents for me became clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I couldn't agree with you more about the veteran care. The VA is a mess, and I hope that Pres. Elect Obama will do something about it because the VA seems unwilling to change themselves but that is a different topic
Start a thread on it. I won't hold my breath on it- but I'd like to see our vets better taken care of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA
<snip> It's a perfect example of why I would highly recommend that anyone considering joining talk to someone BESIDES the recruiter before they make their decision. I realize that not everyone has that luxury, but with the internet these days it's a more viable option. I certainly wouldn't have an issue telling my tales about my experience.
I'm glad people like you are around for other people. An honest individual with experience is a valuable asset for decision making.
---
@Jae: Unless you are cynical and view that everything is done because somebody wants something in returned--doesn't matter then 'who' does 'what tactics'. It has been said that the most effective types in the world are also strongly disliked and seen as most distasteful. I agree with you, the tactics make them quite effectively successful, all else aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
In regards to the military--if it's not in writing, it never happened. Your recruiter may say a lot of things (they are not allowed to lie to recruit, but that doesn't mean things don't get shaded a certain way), but if what he/she says is not in your contract, don't sign it until they put it in the contract, or you're ok with the differences.
***Exactly.***
---
@thread: I would say that anyone considering joining, do your homework on it first from all sorts of people of all backgrounds. You can be sure the military will do their homework on you, the more time that passes and the less successful they have been at recruiting you. You think your record as a minor goes away from everybody's eyes? Maybe to the general population. THEY (military/gov't.) knows *everything* that has ever been reported on you. If you find that it will not do you any good to enlist, I'd suggest staying away; If you find it holds a good future for you after all that research and consideration, then go ahead--just hope you know what you're getting into.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,