View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I hope not, but I've not played any police/SWAT games so I'm not qualified to answer that. The closest I've come is playing the CSI games.
Then you should try out TRUE CRIME: STREETS OF LA--a game that is GTA esque, but now is on the side of law enforcement as a rehab'd guy recruited to being a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
All I was saying was that the program is apparently effective from a recruitment standpoint and the opinion that we'd admire it if it were in any industry except the military. (except tobacco which you clarified later)
I concur. Very effective regardless of taste or anybody's opinion. Thank you for articulation on that point. I'm not sure, though, if there is any effective way to do it without crossing over into being distasteful, dishonest or just flat unethical--be it intentional or not. If there is an altogether 'ethical' way to implement tactics that would also be 'effective', I'm sure we'd all like to know about it. Unfortunately, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies
Maniputlative then? You don't see anything wrong at all with something that helps to ease the transition from shooting pixel on a screen to shoot people in a battlefield?
I believe I'm seeing your implicit position on this. I'm just curious if you'd care to clarify this, if you would indulge me so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
<snip>
If you feel all military service is A Bad Thing, then you're going to view this recruiting campaign as manipulative at best and dishonest in general. If you're asking me if this disturbs me, in some ways it does--many high school kids are just not experienced enough in life to recognize when someone's blowing sunshine up their butts, and this takes advantage of that. One can nonetheless grudgingly admire the creative approach without necessarily agreeing with the results. In fact, there might be techniques there that other businesses could learn from, just as businesses can learn from the Joe Camel campaign to market their (hopefully) legitimate products.
Well said.

Quote:
I'd love to live in a world where we never needed a military at all and would never go to war. I highly doubt I'll ever see that kind of world, unfortunately.
Not in the rosy picture it is idealized in, anyway.
Quote:
We still need people on border patrol, we need people in the Coast Guard to do things like rescue people out of planes that crash-land in the Hudson river, and sometimes we need people to go to war to deal with people like Hitler. There are people who want to do that job and would be good at it, and the military wants to find those folks.
Yes indeed. Keeping that in mind, however, the military is now not just government run, but an industry as well. It has its wants and needs. Doesn't mean we necessarily agree with them, though.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,