Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

If anyone's interested, my hippie friend from another forum posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFI

A Reflection on Barack Obama's Innaugural Address

[A repost is a repost of a repost of a repost off my facebook notes]

First off I'd like to say that I still feel a massive darkness from Obama. I don't think his intentions are as true as people make them out to be. I don't think he'll achieve many worthwhile goals for the left-wing agenda as he had promised in his run, and I think the leftist agenda he does pass will further to drive us into a police state; albeit a much more subtle one than the way we had been heading since the neoconservative movement began.

Some selected passages will follow with my comments after each.

"...That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of [pause, then rushed] greed and responsibility on the part of some [pause, resume pace] but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age..."
The most interesting part here was the way he phrased this. The quick pace of greed & responsibility on the part of some (credit bankers, etc.) seemed almost as a way to smooth over the real cause of the problem, as he then continued on to shift blame almost equally to the nearly helpless average American citizens. This is also the first time of many that he mentions a new age.

"...On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord..."
This is interesting because it is exactly what I have been noticing since the primaries. Obama is the marker of the neoliberal movement; in almost a Newtonian third law fashion, the left has found the equal and opposite primal emotional response to the neoconservative politics of fear; using fear to move their political agenda. Indeed, hope seems to be the only emotional response capable of overcoming what the neoconservatives surely felt was the strongest emotion of all. And because of this, Obama has opened the door for the extreme left to push their agenda in a new, subtle way. Look for every major legislative and political movement with any possible objections to be met full force with Hope politics. The days of "the terrorists'll get you if you dont ___!" have been replaced with "We can beat the terrorists if we ___ !". Same game, different name.

"...We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in it's defense. And for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger, and cannot be broken. You cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you..."
And here's a shining example. I take this as a declaration of not only continued war policy, continued US presence in unfriendly territories, but perhaps even a declaration of expansion, of intentions to push further in doctrine and agenda.

"...What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility. A recognition on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world. Duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there's nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. This is the price and the promise of citizenship..."
Imprinting in the minds of Americans that if you don't do what is expected of you by this new government, that you are unpatriotic, unhopeful, and unhealthy to the nation's well-being. Dissenters, consider yourselves marked. Freedom, consider yourself marked.

"...America: In the face of our common danger, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents - and endure what storms may come..."
Buckle yourselves up kiddies, the ride has only begun.
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,