View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #31
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Fair enough example. So you're implying that we exert significant influence?
I think the evidence would support that, yes.

Quote:
As-is, though...I cannot be totally sure. After all, violence is kind of a universal truth regardless, is it not?
Universal truth in what regard? I'm not arguing the U.S. or our culture is the source of violence. I do think that we take violence and place a value on it that may or may not be more significant than what's seen in other cultures, but is arguably excessive for a society that as advanced as we like to think ours is.

Quote:
Besides, I thought we've gone from the envy of the world to the most despised?
Anything I said here would simply be guessing. Like any other society, we have our pluses and our minuses. I think other countries would put different things in those columns to varying degrees.

Quote:
I think I generally get what you're saying, being that we're an economic superpower (if not *the* economic superpower), that more of what we do here gets out to the rest of the world than we realize.
Not for much longer.

Quote:
So if that BackYard Wrestling audition tape I made awhile ago were to leak on youtube or be sold--potentially I could be setting a bad example for the emulative natured youth in the rest of the world OF America?
Yep. Suppose one day you had a son. Do you think that if he ever saw that, it would influence his idea of what it is to be a man? The father/son dynamic is a powerful one, but this could apply to any young person who saw the tape, anywhere in the world.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,