View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Great, j7! Was just going to reply to Arcesious post in the other thread. To react to his comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious View Post
Edit: The philosphical concept that I don't really agree with is Neitzche's 'Overman' philosophy. The reason I don't agree with it is because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. If it made sense to me, maybe I'd agree with it.
My interpretation of the Übermensch is that with God gone (in his theory), humanity lost its goal, and needs to search for another.

The Übermensch being that goal, i.e. being the final stage in an evolution that goes from animal, over human, to that of Übermensch (Nietzsche thought that we are a species that isn't at its last stage, like most (all?) animals are). It's a state in which we rely completely on our rationality, which Nietzsche held in highest regard.

Another interpretation I could give on the Übermensch is for every human to be, individually, all he or she can be, in every possible way. This is a more dangerous interpretation, I think, because there's only one step away from "all you can be" to "being perfect", a goal being chased by the Nazis.

I'm a huge fan of Nietzsche. When I read Nietzsche's philosophy for the first time, it was as if I was reading my own thoughts. I was raised non-catholic, and I am Atheist (if I am to be labeled). As such, his Übermensch theory for me is more important than anything else written by him. I believe there is no God, and that there is no afterlife, no meaning to life. As such, the only way to really make it worth wile, is to give it meaning myself, and that's what the theory of the Übermensch reflects, in my opinion. A (multiple) goal(s), set by yourself, which dictate your life. In the end, it all doesn't matter to the universe, but it matters to you, and that's all that's important.

There are others who can give better interpretations and explanations than me, but that's how I think about it.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,