View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious View Post
The 'Ubermensch' idea to me seems to set too high a standard.
Why?

Quote:
It sounds like a brutally darwinistic, 'perfectionist doctrine'
What's wrong with that?

Quote:
and it sounds very 'wishy-washy'. That's why I don't agree with it.
Arc, perhaps this is a culture difference but in the UK 'wishy-washy' means sat on the fence, not being much, or not wanting to offend - Nietzsche was never any of those things. Have you read; 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Great, j7!
Hehe, I think we will have some fun

Quote:
Was just going to reply to Arcesious post in the other thread. To react to his comment:

My interpretation of the Übermensch is that with God gone (in his theory), humanity lost its goal, and needs to search for another.

The Übermensch being that goal, i.e. being the final stage in an evolution that goes from animal, over human, to that of Übermensch (Nietzsche thought that we are a species that isn't at its last stage, like most (all?) animals are). It's a state in which we rely completely on our rationality, which Nietzsche held in highest regard.
I would generally concur with this.

Quote:
Another interpretation I could give on the Übermensch is for every human to be, individually, all he or she can be, in every possible way. This is a more dangerous interpretation, I think, because there's only one step away from "all you can be" to "being perfect", a goal being chased by the Nazis.
I disagree with this interpretation, and think what the Nazi's liked of Nietzsche's work they used, and conveniently missed the parts they didn't (like his comments on Germany for example )

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of Nietzsche. When I read Nietzsche's philosophy for the first time, it was as if I was reading my own thoughts. I was raised non-catholic, and I am Atheist (if I am to be labeled). As such, his Übermensch theory for me is more important than anything else written by him. I believe there is no God, and that there is no afterlife, no meaning to life. As such, the only way to really make it worth wile, is to give it meaning myself, and that's what the theory of the Übermensch reflects, in my opinion. A (multiple) goal(s), set by yourself, which dictate your life. In the end, it all doesn't matter to the universe, but it matters to you, and that's all that's important.
I suppose this is the point at which we come into contention. As I think by assigning your own reason for exsistance, ignores the fact that there isn't one, and thus ignores the rationality behind getting you there. I would concur with this; "Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance" - Jean-Paul Sartre.

Quote:
There are others who can give better interpretations and explanations than me, but that's how I think about it.
I think it was a pretty good explanation I tend to ignore a lot of what I hear people say about Nietzsche, I don't think he is meant to be read by everyone, if you follow my meaning.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,