View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn View Post
However, it has been some time since I read Nietzsche. What philosophical category do you think Nietzsche fits best? J7, you mentioned Sartre in a response.... do you think that Nietzsche is an Existentialist?
Personally I put Nietzsche in a category all of his own. I think he is one of the most original thinkers in the last few hundred years, and certainly one of the most interesting minds, to have come about.

I don't think he was an Existentialist - though I'm sure the "Existentialists" of the 20th century certainly took parts of Nietzschean philosophy and used it in their Existentialism. Of course this is somewhat hard to define, given the discussion as to what Existentialism is, and the fact some of the most prominent existentialists deny being existentialists

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,