View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Current Game: The Old Republic
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Nietzsche would I think of viewed Hitler as not bright enough to be an ‹bermensch, besides which, Nietzsche disowned his own sister for her anti-Semitic husband for a period of time (and her own views being influenced by her husband) which I hope goes to prove Nietzsche would not of approved of the holocaust.
Indeed. You can even go as far as to say Nietzsche, and more specifically, his ‹bermensch, had a bad reputation due to his sister and her antisemitic husband, the former of which released, I believe, some of Nietzsche's work posthumous, edited to her believes, or rewrote some of his work, and as such, Nietzsche being, wrongfully, connected to Nazism and the like.

Quote:
I thoroughly recommend only Walter Kaufmann translations if you pay for a book, he is the foremost of all the Nietzsche scholars, and be very wary of any Nietzsche 'translation' pre 1945.
I'll have to write that down. And I agree with that last part.

Quote:
*Anyways, my very brief attempt to sum up the theory; the ‹bermensch, is an individual who has broken through the mould, and the ‹bermensch is one who reveals themselves as having attained the highest degrees of expression in his will to power. Of these various 'highher degrees of expression' Philosophy is one (if not the) highest. More common 'will to power' are lower ones (such as revenge) and must be sublimated into more useful forms of energy. The ‹bermensch is totally self reliant, having broken away from the culture he is surrounded by, this comes about by the ‹bermensch realising his 'true' self, so he is no longer a thoughtless accident, but a deliberate thought, of his own deliberate accord and nature. Because the ‹bermensch realises 'God is Dead' he then sets about inventing his own 'morality' as he see's fit. This, is at least, how this lay philosopher interprets the theory. I'm sure others will come in, with their own take
I know this is basically a concept by Nietzsche himself, but could you give your interpretation to the "will to power"? It seems you can have various interpretations of the concept. Other than that, a sound explanation. With this explanation, I can also see that hint of Kierkegaard and Spinoza, to name a few. I'd argue that Nietzsche would also view Spinoza as having attained a status close to that of ‹bermensch, Spinoza pulling himself away from religion to practice Philosophy without restriction, "breaking away from the culture he is surrounded by", like you said.

Quote:
Anyways, as such, I don't think Hitler has any of the above qualities, ergo he is not an ‹bermensch and I would go as far as saying Hitler would not of been intelligent enough to understand the theory.
Yeah, I don't think Hitler can be seen as an ‹bermensch. Nor do I think Hitler understood (or wanted to understand) the theory of the ‹bermensch. You could say that Hitler's actions were fueled by a blind hatred for certain cultures, which goes directly against any rational thought, and against one of the key elements of the ‹bermensch. Also, Hitler saw the ‹bermensch as a race, as something that is being created by a mass of superior beings, while I think the ‹bermensch is a goal set by everyone individually. Extrapolating this, Hitler was more busy creating a "perfect" race, with reintroducing Germany as a force not to be messed with, with forming a "Reich", than he was working on himself as an individual, in the ssense of hunting down the goal of ‹bermensch.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,