View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I read an interesting study recently which showed that an increasing number of American High School pupils are "playing the school game"; that is: not learning but playing the system to get the highest grades possible, to gain entry to the likes of Stanford, MIT, and (I suppose for the more internationally minded amongst them) Trinity College, Dublin or Imperial College, London.
You're spot on, really. Most of the school corporations in areas seem to be focused on improving standardized national exam scores of students, rather than actually preparing them for life. I wouldn't exactly say that the students themselves seem to "ride" along the education system, but more or less I'm sure that societal pressure, especially from their parents, seems to drive some students to be the best. And striving to be the "best" often breeds stress, depression, and perhaps, suicide.
Quote:
Undoubtedly, this sort of wheeling and dealing would make them good confidence tricksters, or "investment bankers" as they're known in some circles, but I'm curious as to what sort of long-term detrimental effect this sort of non-education will have on American society as a whole and the hollow shells that the system churns out in particular.
It's been happening for quite some time, really. There was this "No Child Left Behind" legislature that was introduced by Bush II in 2001, that essentially grouped all students into one, generic standard of learning, allowing those already gift to learn redundant material, while more troubled students are given a more demanding level of curriculum; the results are horrendous, as you can imagine.

To be honest, the whole system needs to be gutted and completely reformed. Each student does not learn like everyone else; it's a simple fact of life that everyone works in their own, personalized way. Administrators seem to completely ignore that, however, I will not blame the tutors. Almost all of my teachers in the past have, thankfully, gave it their best, to make students willing to learn, and to eventually prepare them for life. Ultimately, that is what needs to happen, and it must be available to students of all walks of life, not just the privileged.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,