View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I read an interesting study recently which showed that an increasing number of American High School pupils are "playing the school game"; that is: not learning but playing the system to get the highest grades possible, to gain entry to the likes of Stanford, MIT, and (I suppose for the more internationally minded amongst them) Trinity College, Dublin or Imperial College, London. Undoubtedly, this sort of wheeling and dealing would make them good confidence tricksters, or "investment bankers" as they're known in some circles, but I'm curious as to what sort of long-term detrimental effect this sort of non-education will have on American society as a whole and the hollow shells that the system churns out in particular.
Thats exactly what I did 9th through 11th grade, it wasn't until this year when I was accepted to all of the colleges that I wanted to go to that I actually started to "learn" rather than get good grades. A number of the classes I'm in assign mindless homework that really doesn't serve a purpose other than for grades. The teacher doesn't read them(I've written what I had for breakfast before on an essay question about photosynthesis) so I figure, why bother, I know the stuff well enough to be able to explain it to someone who'll listen, why bother explaining it to my self when I would much rather think of the waffles I made for myself. But hey, at least the school gets some extra As' so itll get a budget of $4.67 and a pen instead of $3.83 and an eraser. Fortunately now that I'm a senior, I actually listen in class and read the book to learn, not to answer questions taken directly from the text, a wonderful skill every student from grades 4 and up can do perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Few people now would think it sad that where once a school master would discuss Roman poetry in the original Latin, teachers are now content to simply tell their pupils that there was once a society which wrote in Latin and leave it at that. If Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer were no longer taught in English schools would it matter to people? Does it really matter full stop?
My school cut a number of english classes including Shakespeare, meaning that when your a senior now, you either take AP Lit, AP analyzing ads and documents and writing **** about similes in them or Creative writing and media literacy. But hey, who needs the old Shakespeare class or the poetry class, we have 20 new English as a second language teachers. Same with foreign languages. Despite them kinda sorta being a requirement to most colleges, who needs em.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,