View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Web Rider

I'll state that for starters, the need to bring this up again does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
The purpose for this thread is for anyone to state their ideas on how to rectify the situation before LucasForums is irrevocably flushed down the toilet.
There is nothing wrong with LucasForums except for maybe the fact that not a single new LucasArts game has brought in a serious influx of fans.

Now to the point:

Quote:
1) Kavar's:
It was a noble experiment, but I agree with Darth InSidious' assessment that it was doomed to failure from the very beginning and has acted as a sort of cancer, with arguments and agendas spreading to Ahto and beyond. Various treatments have been applied to little or no effect and the only real solution left is for the KotOR forum to undergo radical surgery to have Kavar's permanently removed. Any and all political discussion (and agendas) should be relegated to the Senate Chambers, which has successfully existed for years without having the effect of poisoning the rest of the forum. I give credit to the Swampies for this, because they don't want and won't stand for that crap polluting their little corner of LF, and really: who can blame them?
Except, this was solved some time ago, problems have settled down, mods are more on top of the situation, and people are doing better at keeping their tongues in check.

Quote:
2) Post editing, snipping and deletions:
These have to stop. I recognize that they are used in an effort to smooth over arguments and to eliminate the offensive nature of certain comments in order to prevent people's feelings from being hurt, but they are having a very detrimental effect by preventing conflict resolution and giving the impression of censorship and bias. Offensive and rule-breaking posts should be left as they are, warts and all (sans profanity and obscene photos, links and other objects), so that everyone can see exactly why certain actions are being taken by members of the staff. The only editing to offending posts should be moderator comments and the removal of the afore-mentioned profanity/obscenity. This will (hopefully) have the following effects:
That is a BAD idea, I know, I'm on DA, even DA has the power to hide comments(effectivly deleting them), and trust me, it saves so much strain in dealing with people replying to the same stuff over and over and over. Being able to edit posts, your own and moderate people's, is a wonderful ability that allows you to correct anything from spelling to clear up misconceptions.

Quote:
a) To dispel impressions, be they real or imagined, of favoritism, censorship, the destroying of evidence and the sweeping of unpleasantries under the rug.
Well there goes your noble ideas of "no political agendas", this is entirely political.

Quote:
b) To enforce permanent accountability on any and all posters, including staff, by preventing the exploitation of the current policy of snipping and deleting flames and other forms of asshattery by depending upon it to cover their tracks. This should make anyone think twice before posting because once it's there, it's there for good and for all to see and use for future reference.
So that racist, bigoted, rude, and outright inflammatory comments can be left to stir up more fire? That's a terrible idea. It won't make people think twice, if anything it will make people speak out even louder because they know they cannot be silenced. There are some terrible, terrible things said on the internet, and if you're going to eliminate any form of moderation, then it's going to become a major ****storm.

Quote:
3) Staff meetings and decision-making:
Should be open to the public and subject to oversight and input by all forum members.
On certain decisions, the public should not have a say in certain matters.

Quote:
4) Promotions and demotions:
Should be decided upon by all forum members.
Which will quickly be followed by favortism, nepotism, buying of votes, and internet apathy, as the internet always does. Voting on who should be in charge is a bad idea since there is no accountability and once you get ONE bad person in charge, a few moments and everything is destroyed.

The problems you complain about in politics have been solved, your desire to continually bring up this subject is only making the situation worse.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: