View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
1) Kavar's:
It was a noble experiment, but I agree with Darth InSidious' assessment that it was doomed to failure from the very beginning and has acted as a sort of cancer, with arguments and agendas spreading to Ahto and beyond. Various treatments have been applied to little or no effect and the only real solution left is for the KotOR forum to undergo radical surgery to have Kavar's permanently removed. Any and all political discussion (and agendas) should be relegated to the Senate Chambers, which has successfully existed for years without having the effect of poisoning the rest of the forum. I give credit to the Swampies for this, because they don't want and won't stand for that crap polluting their little corner of LF, and really: who can blame them?
I disagree. Kavar is doing much better now and it was meant to be different from the Senate. There are three very responsible moderators to take the decisions there and they do have my complete trust. Part of the past problem was that there were too many people involved in moderation there (including me), each with their own level of tolerance and we ended up having moderation which was not uniform and in the end, no one knew where to draw the line. This problem has been fixed now.

Quote:
2) Post editing, snipping and deletions:
These have to stop. I recognize that they are used in an effort to smooth over arguments and to eliminate the offensive nature of certain comments in order to prevent people's feelings from being hurt, but they are having a very detrimental effect by preventing conflict resolution and giving the impression of censorship and bias. Offensive and rule-breaking posts should be left as they are, warts and all (sans profanity and obscene photos, links and other objects), so that everyone can see exactly why certain actions are being taken by members of the staff. The only editing to offending posts should be moderator comments and the removal of the afore-mentioned profanity/obscenity. This will (hopefully) have the following effects:To dispel impressions, be they real or imagined, of favoritism, censorship, the destroying of evidence and the sweeping of unpleasantries under the rug.
And then the flames would continue endlessly and the person who's being flamed at would, rightfully, be very displeased. Besides, the "evidence" isn't really "destroyed". Besides, we also keep a history of all our decisions.

Quote:
3) Staff meetings and decision-making:
Should be open to the public and subject to oversight and input by all forum members.
No, especially since we often have to deal with private information. It is also the standard in the great majority of forums around the net.

Quote:
4) Promotions and demotions:
Should be decided upon by all forum members.
The staff members are chosen based on their posting history and our needs (sometimes we look for someone with specific knowledge per example). It's not a popularity contest. I think that all the swk staff members are people with a very solid background.
Darth333 is offline   you may: