View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #33
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

None of those will work Qliveur, what you're suggesting is a democracy and democracies only work in government administration, not a video game discussion forum. The same approach doesn't work everywhere.

I have discussed this matter with a few friends of my clique and this came of it:

1. Origin
The source of this whole problem is, quite frankly, that the forum has gone stale. There have been two great hotspots in LF: the Swamp and the Spaceport, both of which were water coolers for the modding and game discussion communities of the two games.

As time passes and the game gets older, people discuss about it less and the game forums are eventually left to the newbies altogether (take a spin around them sometime you elitist snobs). On the contrary, the off-topic forum got a lot more popular as it allowed for discussion on an infinitely wider range of topics.

The more serious topics were then lumped into Kavar's. Nothing bad so far. Problem starts like so: many users associate Kavar's with greater importance than the other forums and even though they came to the forums for game discussion, end up throwing pies at each other over Obama's spending policy.

So that is our first problem: that the primary focus of these forums shifted from the game itself to the off-topic forums.

2. Cliques, Elites and Other French-Origin Words
I will be so bold as to risk being labelled a sonofabitch and blame Skype as one of the reasons behind this whole hullabaloo. Some users will remember that I was reluctant to join Skype and liked to pretend I was a gothic mysticist in the Knights Chat.

The reason was, I saw an esoteric club that had been formed between members of the forum. This is not an inherently bad idea, but when the club ends up bitching about each other, laughing at other members of the forum, devising ideas and being very sneaky in general, problems start happening.

I will also not deny that there is something of a cabal and at least a perceived thread of favouritism in the Skype cult. The best example I can give you is the controversial stickying of the Imperial appointments thread, which speaks for itself.

And as any expert of Skype Dramaz will tell you, there are groups within the Skype group, and individual friendships within these, many perniciously working against each other in some kind of weird festive pagan clockwork.

As much as I enjoy the company of some of the people I've met in Skype, I know it feels like some exclusive high school club of elites that all the nerds and dorks have to stay out of. And I can tell these nerds and dorks know this, and most probably don't like it.

Don't mean to drag Skype dramaz to the forum, but my point is: there is an undeniable closed group consisting of a sizeable number of forum veterans and regular members including a number of the Knights staff members.

What we are now going through is a stage of decay where distrust has bred throughout the forums and rather than as idle commentors, users take each other very seriously as human beings.

3. Perfect Post-Apocalyptic Mumbo-Jumbo
I do not know what can come of this or how this can be solved; one solution I have in mind is to let it pass. Sooner or later, a newer community will be inhaled and many of the older members will pass out. That may happen with TOR, that may not happen with TOR. Maybe all of LF is in a decline now. I don't know, I don't have a crystal ball.

In any case, as per the theory I have stated in the first part of this reply; we need more users that care about the game and come here everyday to discuss their views and opinions on the game at hand, rather than an all manner of unrelated things. The mental frame of LucasForums being a game discussion forum and a fan community needs to be resurrected and the entire oil spill will clean itself up.

And the only way this can happen, is if LucasArts gives us something to talk about, hence my hope for TOR. I like where it has gone so far and I've noticed dozens of new users. I want this figure to grow and eclipse the JK and KotOR members, so that a new era of the forum dawns and all of this bad blood and controversy is buried under the soil.

4. Myopia
Looking back to the present: I don't think any constitutional reforms need to be taken in the forum to bring change, neither do we need a charming black man to take over Aristotle's seat. Our staff is, to my knowledge, working the best they can and I still find the forums sufficiently usable and entertaining. So long as it stays like that, I will continue to visit.

The social phenomenon will have to change on its own, how and when I cannot predict. Everybody needs to lighten up, stop relating with each other so deeply and be sensible in general.

Peace my brothers and sisters,
El Sabre

Sabretooth is offline   you may: