View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #45
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
I'm rather new in these seas, and I had no idea members of Lucasforums.com used Skype. I was only recently asked to check it out, and it was no suprise that certain members communicated in such a way. Its is a list similar to the thread of the Who's Who of Lucasforums.com.
There are some similarities, but of course, some differences as well. AFAIK, DI doesn't even have Skype installed presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El
Skype exists outside of Lucasforums' rules and regulations; thus, it gives moderators and admins a place to talk about forum issues without restraint. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Skype's contact list did mirror closely with the Imperial Proclamations, but I don't know if it happend by accident or on purpose.
Skype's Contact List? That doesn't even make sense with how the program works. There are many who use Skype (I'm one of them) but as you can see, I keep my name on my profile so any member can contact me. I've spoken to many non-clique (as you seem to refer to it) members on skype as well.

Also, staff don't discuss moderation when on Skype. Now, I've PrivateSkyped Jae before and asked her why I got an infraction, but of course, that's the same as a PM anyway.

They don't just go around telling everyone about what they do in the forums, but if they do, it's if someone asks why they locked a thread - they might respond with "It was spammy", etc. And, since the mods usually post a reason on the forums anyway, it's not private information.

Maybe the staff have done unethical things. (I doubt it.) But they've never done anything reprehensible in the public skype chat.

Quote:
One controversial aspect of Skype will come from it being an open forum, so non staff members and staff members can discuss how to punish a fellow forumite. Without breaking any of Lucasforums' rules. Its similar to an end run around the bigger bosses. I'm hopping my assumptioins are flawed; however, there is the possibility and opportunity for it to happen.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't lambaste anyone without knowing the facts first. Non-staff have never been involved in the punishment of a fellow member, at least not in public over skype.

For the staff to use it as a Staff Chat is both understandable and intelligent.
Quote:
Kavar's, Kavar's, Kavar's - What to do. What to do? I'm glad that others are finally seeing what I've been saying. Kavar's is a problem. Do we close the forum down? There is a relationship between its existance and the negetivity in all LF forums; however, it doesn't mean that one is causing the other. There are so many variables on the table, and maybe its a combination of a clique, Kavar's existance, and how forumites feel about TOR. We haven't had any good Star Wars news for a few years, and I think turning Knights into a MMO may have helped trigger some anger. Combine all of these problems, and you have a hot pot boiling over.
You don't have to go to any forums you don't like

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: