View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
I think that vision is unrealistic as long as there are no incentives for bosses to do so. I have yet to see people do things not to their own benefit, and unless they start valuing the good feeling of paying their employees more than the cost of doing so (which I have little hope will happen), I don't see how things will change. The fact that the market would punish companies who didn't aim to maximize profit makes the scenario even less likely.
It's not, up till the 60's that's what most companies did. If you pay your workers enough so that they can afford your product, it essentially means they're paying themselves. You don't have to pay them enough to buy a new one every day, but when a person feels they can afford what they're making, they're going to be happier about making it.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,