View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #113
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker View Post
So ignoring the fact that Nyborg compiled the data and you fallaciously dismiss it on the grounds that it is easier for you to erect a straw man regarding his past research, how then do you reconcile the fact that, among American adolescents, there is a negative correlation between ASVAB scores of intelligence (the very tests administered and trusted to provide intelligence quotients re-termed as GT scores by the military which then qualifies people for job positions) and their religiosity? The more religious someone is, the less they score on the ASVAB.
The fact he compiled the results throws the results into doubt because for all we know he deliberately selected the subjects in a manner to obtain the results he desired, just like he did for the study he was suspended over.

The fact is you can't selectively ignore the fact the person that compiled the data has an integrity problem. The fact the test is a legitimate one is irrelevent if the one conducting the test has a record of deliberately misrepresenting the results.

Fact is, I've seen a real-life examples of legitimate tests being used in a manner that throws its credibility into doubt.

I'm not going to selectively ignore the facts that your source has a credibility and ethics problem, when any ethical researcher would also toss this scientist's results out the nearest window.

In fact in Planning Educational Research, it talks about deliberate bias and distorting research data. I found it on pages 176-178.

Title: Educational Research: An Introduction
Main Author: Borg, Walter R.
Edition 5th ed.
Copyright: 1989
Pages 176-178

Last edited by GarfieldJL; 03-01-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Sourcing
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,