View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
I agree. Just because the statistics suck doesn't mean that I think that marriage is the end of a relationship. Especially because I'm religious.

_EW_
Indeedy. Lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics, as I will shortly show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavardes View Post
1. How old are your "peers", and how long have the marriages you know of been lasting?
James and Hannah; married at 18, been happily married for the last 7 years.

Ed and Charli, married at 23, been married 5 years

Tom and Becca, Married at 21, happily married 3 years etc etc

I could then say, my mum and dad, 28 years and going, family friends Jo and Alistair 31 years and going, my Aunt and Uncle 26 years and going, really I could go on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavardes View Post
2. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_14.pdf

The statistics on divorce rates are the testament in themselves. I'm not buying that the majority of married couples are happy go lucky for very long. And you have to factor in the longevity of the marriage, as the longer time goes by, the better chance of divorce. It's pointless, and ultimately turns something that should just be about love and commitment into a legal obligation that you can't get out of. Yep. Totally makes sense.
These are misleading for the following reason, where are the statistics for Boyfriend/Girlfriend (or same-sex) breakups?

There won't be any to compare against, so you can't actually place an inference into the effect marriage has on relationship success.

Furthermore, I'd have to disagree, for several reasons. Firstly, just because something doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to others. I'm not going to tell you, that you should or shouldn't get married, so why does it matter what others do?

I would assert in statistics, that if Boyfriend - Girlfriend relationships will be more frequent and also have a higher statistical likely hood of ending, in a shorter period of time.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,