View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I don't know about the statistics, but in my cynical world view life happens, people drift away, you meet someone new who's fresh and exciting, feelings come and go -- and before you know it someone ends up cheating or hurt.

For me there is no such thing as "happily ever after" since we evolve throughout our lives and I honestly believe that most* are not content with having just one partner for the rest of their life.
I would have to argue that this is because of a wrong view of love.

How do you know if someone loves you? Is it when you are easy to love, and the feelings come easily? Or is it when your an absolute pain in the bum, and the feelings aren't there but they come through for you?

J7's selected quotes on love

Quote:
"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained." -- C.S. Lewis (Answers to Questions on Christianity)

"Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal." - C.S. Lewis - The Problem of Pain

“Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
So is love a feeling, or an action? I think it's a bit of both, but it is proven in the action. In regards marriage, how to marriages do sour? I would have to argue by not doing the above.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,