View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Mmm, yes and no...expert in it for himself, yes. Knows when to walk away, yes.
Just no. An expert does not know when to get out. They may make an educated guess when to get in or when to leave, but it is still a guess.

There is this huge formula for deciding if a stock is overvalued or undervalued. It looks like a sound mathematical formula until you realized that past growth is not an indication of future growth. When you do that you realized the entire formula is based on a guess. Financial advisors can dress it up and make it look appealing, but it is still just someoneís best guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
For the economy, not so much...any economist knows that to horde or put $$$ in a bank acct causes circulation to stop...Investing is obviously different as ther is some form of liability and risk and such...what do you think has been happening lately?
The experts I was speaking of was financial advisors. Economist is a great profession, but it is very different than someone that makes their money in the stock market. For what it worth, I am a financial advisor although I only practice on myself since I donít want the responsibility of dealing with others retirements. Iím not following the Economist advice right now, I am hording my cash, but only to purchase stocks when I believe they are close to bottom. Still it is just a guess on my part when that will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
True but what it does do is let the wound bleed out and flood out the undesirable 'contaminants' and 'infections'.
Donít understand your point. I believe that is what I wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Because most average people cannot detach themselves emotionally to intellectually analyze what goes on and why. Hint: It's always either good or bad with these folks depending upon the current trend
Good or Bad? I donít understand your point. If people knew the future then they would know how to invest. It would not matter if that future was good or bad. The problem with the market is uncertainty leads to speculation and fluctuations. Since I am a long-term investor and far from retirement I usually pay little attention to the market on a daily basic. However, now I am watching it closely. Not in an attempt to get out, but watching for the right time to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Oh? Then how do you explain the gold market? I see gold at a rather low price right now. Now is a good time to "buy". However, unless you actually have the real physical thing in your hands, it is just numbers on paper.
Which is safer, $100,000. in the bank or $100,000. in your pocket? The number on a sheet of paper is fine as long as you purchase it from a ligament source (the problem today with the lack of oversight is knowing what is a ligament source). The gold is safer stored in a vault than under your bed (at least in my neighborhood). Oh, my thought on gold is it is never a good time to buy.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,