View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #16
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
You should really look at the comments of those that support her. Many of them feel he should be arrested for espousing his beliefs that concealed carry can be a good thing. Some have even said that They "believe in free speech, except when it comes to guns." That would be restricting free speech. I guess it's ok... that whole boiling the live frog thing. We get more used to little restrictions. Further and further along. But hey that's ok. I mean first we get the USA PATRIOT ACT, which gave the government more power than it should have(Yes, I'm quite aware that Republicans supported it, doesn't mean I'm going to). Now the Democrats intend to restrict the second. You watch it will eventually lead to free speech being limited free speech. Those first two ammendments apparently don't mean much.. guess we can just throw them out... right?
What others feel about this has nothing at all to do with the motivation of the professor. To make it clear, the professor's stated reason for calling the cops was:

Quote:
According to The Recorder, Anderson cited safety as her reason for calling the police.

“It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well-being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she told The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”
not,

Quote:
According to The Recorder, Anderson cited intense intolerance of opposite views and hatred of the 2nd amendment as her reason for calling the police.

“I just hate gun freaks and I wanted him to be tazered because he loves his guns more than I hate America.”
To clarify, I'm more on the pro-gun(within reason: assault rifles and those faster in firing speeds are not really weapons meant for defense) side. Not because I use them, but both because its a constitutionally protected right and because a lack of legal guns in America doesn't necessarily equate to a lack of guns total. However, it's just annoying that a professor's extremely misguided attempt to protect her students is portrayed as some symbol of the left wing's disgust for free speech.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,