View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #33
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
Agreed. There have been some similar "precautionary" phone calls from teachers who overreacted here too in Canada (like about a kid making a drawing of a video game scene with guns) but they were done in good faith and had nothing to do with these teachers trying to impose their viewpoints but rather because they were having safety concerns...some people, whether liberal or conservative, tend to freak out easily (and they were also likely concerned about having the finger - and the lawsuits - pointed at them for not acting if something would have happened).
However, in this case it appears even the police aren't even considering there to be a threat and the school has agreed it was overreacting on the teacher's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
I don't see how this is a liberal vs conservative issue. Seems more like a simple lack of judgment by a few individuals (but then, the article does not really mentions how the subject was presented by the student either).
It was a persuasive speech or paper arguing that if the students in the Virginia Tech incident had been carrying concealed firearms the Virginia Tech shooter wouldn't have been able to kill as many people because the shooter would have been filled full of lead. The student was arguing that students and teachers whom could pass the requirements for a conceal and carry permit be allowed to carry firearms on campus. That's it, he was not threatening anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
Um, I already do. Nothing I said was blatantly pulled out of thin air.
In a pig's eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
It does nothing of the sort. Just because she called the cops does not indicate in the slightest that she felt threatened by his viewpoint. And, unless you are this female teacher, I'd ask that you stop putting words in her mouth since you obviously do not know what she was thinking.
Fact is she fits the classic left-wing ideologue profile where they view anyone that disagrees with them as evil and should be silenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
He was an idiot to bring a pro-gun concealment project to school because of the tension that subject brings along. Its common sense that if you advocate guns on a school campus that the staff is going to look twice.
Depends, at the university I go to, quite a few instructors actually own firearms. The teacher has gotten in trouble in this case already and there sounds like there will be a lawsuit, further it sounds highly likely that the student has an ironclad case.

Quote:
He was allowed to present, but the police looked into it to make sure it wasn't an issue.

This has nothing to do if he -was- going to do anything, but a precaution.
Explains why there is such an uproar and the fact the teacher is in trouble.

Quote:
The same precaution that would be taken if he had, say, brought in a pro pedophilia powerpoint into class.
So you're saying that someone that advocates something legitimate that some states allow guns to be carried in other areas, is the same as something that is absolutely immoral. It wouldn't surprise me if you would want to do away with the Keystone amendment and consider everyone that owns a gun to be a criminal based on your comments.

Quote:
Social laws. You have no freedom of speech, so stop trying to advocate it especially when you are in support of keeping teacher's mouth's shut about certain issues.
I'm against them using their position to indoctrinate students into a particular political party. That's a difference from teaching them to think for themselves.

Quote:
So, you are a supporter of limited free speech?
No, I'm against the Nazi style of indoctrination. Teachers are in a position of authority, and indoctrinating students into a political party using their position in the classroom is abusing their position.

Quote:
The location, situation, and people are all very relevant to this.

He was at a school, presenting a project on pro-gun concealment in schools, on a project about school shootings.

It guarantees nothing, but the staff and police felt it was relevant enough to ask him a few question.
No, the teacher called 911 without any input from school officials and the cops showed up at the student's house, they then discovered the teacher's call had no basis, and the school thought it was out of line and overreacting on her part. Don't try to misrepresent the facts of the case, the teacher misrepresented the situation to the police.

This is being considered an assault on free-speech, he never made any threats to anyone according to the article.

Quote:
What I can say is that he is lucky it was a college class, because I'd take a wild guess that a high school or middle school would be much less tolerant of his project.
Actually it sounds like the teacher is in trouble because it looks like she's gonna end up in court and potentially the university too for violating the first amendment.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,