View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #80
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I highly doubt this is leading to a new secession movement.
Agreed.

Quote:
Those that don't think the government is overstepping it's bounds REALLLLLY need to look at what has been going on. Or do you support the USA PATRIOT ACT. Hey just because it was primarily supported by Republicans, and I happen to be a Republican, doesn't mean it isn't relevant. In fact it is even more relevant now. When you combine that over-reaching with further over-reaching being done by this administration it should worry anyone in this country that enjoys their liberty.
Its been worrying me since the day I got into politics.

Quote:
It is rather funny that people somehow feel ok with removing the right to keep and bear arms. It won't stop criminals from getting them. Heck I can make my own black powder. Anyone can. And making a black powder firearm is not that difficult(I did). It is one of our rights, regardless of how easy it is to skirt prohibition(hehe funny how that word seems rather appropriate) of firearms. How long will it be until another right gets taken away?
Wont happen. Only the extremists want to get rid of guns for good. And, if I recall, you still have the right to own a firearm, talk freely, etc so I'm not sure I understand where you are going with that. Frankly, if a right gets taken away it is your fault, as well as everyone Else's for allowing that to happen. But, again, so far you can go down to the mart and pick up an ak-47 so I'm not entirely seeing the problem, or much of a slope in your point unless I am missing something.

Canada is a clear example of a country that loves their guns and loves their hunting, but has a pretty low murder rate especially with guns. This pattern follows with some others, and in the end I've come to my own conclusion that, in the end, there is just something up with the people (obviously).

A gun is a gun. It has no emotions. No feelings. It just is. It takes a person to pick that up and shoot someone, and I would much rather prefer the money going into banning guns to be instead placed into programs that try to find the origins of gun violence.

And before you point it out, I do realize that with guns gone all you get is more stabbings/beatings/etc. In the end you can't really keep people from killing one another regardless, but if that was a 100% case all around then every country and group on earth would have the same rate of murder which just isn't true.

While I am for control over heavy weaponry being kept out of civilian hands, I got no problem with anyone having a gun. I just believe we should stick to our course and make sure the guns that we do legally give out go to sane minded folk, and not given out like candy like extremists on the other side would like.

In the end, it would take a massive shift for us to give up our guns. And yes, I did say "us". As long as we are in our mind set, guns will stay in people's hands. But all it takes is a savvy leader to come around and convince us to let them go.

Guns will not be taken out of our cold dead hands. We will hand them over with our warm hands, or simply never give them up in the first place.

That is unless someone can somehow forceable take guns from the majority, in which case they would have one hell of a fight on their hands.

So, again, we shouldn't be investing in getting rid of guns as much as we should be investigating on why our murder rate is so high. Is it because of poverty? Is it because of stress? Daily demands? A society bred on violence? Masculine attitudes imprinted on children? Or even the availability of said weapons?

Regardless, I'm going to have to follow GTA's statement in saying that it is, in the end, a slippery slope fallacy. Sure, it could slide and tumble down to the point of all guns being banned. But, regardless, it is human nature that is deciding this battle and with or without our precious guns... people are going to kill each other. Of course, I know you realize that but I felt it needed to be pointed out in the context of the argument.

Also, as I said in the other thread, should we just make a gun control thread? It seems to be popping up an awful lot as of late.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,