View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
One of my vocations in life, is as an IT technition, and the above ignores the following as I understand it... Though matt-- and Stoffe are far more familiar with such things than me.

IP address allocation is performed by IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). IANA then gives authority to RIRs (Regional Internet Registries). Then RIRs will also pass on responsibility, depending on their own particular regional policies, and tend to set blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

The most used are; ARIN (North America)
and RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia).

So if you lookup an IP address; the different regional authorities allow lookups to be to that data. The varying ISP's generally block their blocks of IP addresses by region. The lookup will give the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses are given too. The ISP's can re-name these blocks if they wish to do so. The naming will often be after a particular geographic place, for example, Lon-UK, aka London, United Kingdom.

As such while IP checks can be off, I have never found them to ever vary so much as giving lots of different locations, they definatly don't get the wrong country or state, More-over I don't see how an ISP check could reveal a 'false' result.
I'm sorry j7, but I think I'm going to need to ask you to Source all that information. I mean, you could very well be making all that stuff up. Next you'll be telling us you wrote a book eight years ago on the symbolism of this stuff. But without giving us a Source, I don't think we can believe you. Having a verified and vetted Source is everything today, especially on the Internet.

Or, you could be just fooling us. Lol... Lol... Lol...

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: