View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
It's relevant because technically life shouldn't exist if you throw that variable into the equation.
With what variable? The assumption on how life and earth was at that time you pulled out of the air?

The point is that we don't know, and that includes you.

Quote:
That's not what he said and you know it.
Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
There are some things that atheists cannot use their views to explain anything, like how life began for instance.
Why am I required to explain it to begin with? Why is it not okay to just accept that we don't know something? Not knowing an answer doesn't mean that I get to inject arguments from ignorance like "god did it," which tell us nothing about anything except the ignorance and superstition of the person making the claim.
Yes, it is what he said. Before you make a false claim about someone's comment or character I suggest you actually read posts before doing so.

Here is more for your viewing pleasure.
Quote:
Why would this even be necessary? There is no evidence to disprove the purple dragon in my garage or the celestial teapot orbiting the other side of the sun, yet I doubt you'd consider either has good reason for belief. By your flawed (very, very flawed) logic, you must, therefore believe in my dragon and the teapot simply because I claim them true.
Quote:
Science doesn't care one way or another whether a god or a plethora of gods exist. The fact is, the universe behaves exactly as it should be expected to if gods did not exist, but this may be the subject of another thread topic.

Regardless, there is no attempt by science to insert or exclude any religious cult's god(s). Science observes the natural universe and attempts to explain the universe in natural terms. The doctrines of many religions and the cults of these religions, however, make empirical claims that aren't supported by empirical evidence.

Indeed, when compared and contrasted these religions and their individual cults are often inconsistent and even contradictory in their claims. The adherence of religious doctrine is nearly universally correlated (with the expected exceptions) to socio-cultural education: Anglo-saxon descendants tend to be Christian; those of Semitic ancestry tend to be Jewish or Muslim; Asian ancestry tends to give rise to Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, etc. -depending on the region; etc. If I were born in the 4th Dynasty Egypt, I'd likely worship Atun-Ra, Ptah, Horus, et al.

So, if a religion is going to make an empirical claim ("my god exists and you can't disprove it!"), then it must support that claim. Saying, "look at life on the planet" isn't evidence of your god or any other. And even if it were evidence of a god (or gods), there's no evidence that its your god. The Earth could just as easily be the result of goddess Tiamat's body split in half to form the sky and earth by the god Marduk. Or it could be the ejaculate of Ptah after all.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....6&postcount=22

Quote:
Saying something is just superstition especially in the way SkinWalker used it, is used in a manner to insult people that believe in a deity, it usually is a means to call people uneducated, primitive, etc.
su⋅per⋅sti⋅tion
   /ˌsupərˈstɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [soo-per-stish-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

By definition, a belief in god is a superstition. If you'd like to take "primitive" or other definitions out of that, go ahead.

It would no longer be a superstition, however, if you proved the existance of said god. It would also no longer be a superstition if you outright said that you are not afraid of god in any way, shape, or form and your following of religious text was not based on any idea that god would punish you in any way.

So, here is your opportunity to clear that up.

Quote:
I actually believe that except for rare instances, God largely lets people live their own lives, it's something known as Free Will.
Source? Evidence?

Quote:
Which is why I brought up the environment in which life began, the problem here is we're dealing with something we can't see, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some subatomic particles are extremely hard to detect and barely interact with matter at all, but they exist.
Ok, first off we don't know when life truly began or what the earth was like in that state. Source if you please.

So God is a bunch of subatomic particles? Why would a bunch of subatomic particles care about you, or what you do?

Quote:
And you can't automatically assume that God doesn't exist either, science is built around testing things in order to disprove something.
Oh for ****s sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Ok, go ahead. We're saying that it has not been proven or disproven, so to think absolutely that it exists is fallacious logic. The burden of proof is on your shoulders, so feel free to be the one that builds that super microscope that zooms in on god.
I have not automatically assumed. I've stated multiple times that I believe it has not been proven or disproven, but you being the one that believes that it does puts the burden of proof on your shoulders.

Quote:
Can you disprove your existence, seriously prove that you don't exist.
What the **** does this have to do with proving god exists?

Quote:
Oh you mean like how they thought the Exodus was made up, and there are the remains of Egyptian chariots in the Red Sea?
Oh, you mean the divers that have went down, found coral, but when people go down to check there is nothing there?

Or how there are multiple land bridges there that could have easily been onced used as trade routes?

Or how one of the men that found a wheel apparently also knew the location of Noah's Ark, the "true" Mount Sinai in Saudi Arabia and the Ark of the Covenant with the Ten Commandments near the site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=33168

Quote:
Or that supposedly certain cities that were mentioned in the Bible were thought to have been made up, and their remains were actually found?
Umm, I do not recall denying that cities never existed. New York exists, but just because I write down that Godzilla lives in New York does not make it fact.

Also, "supposedly" is not an argument. Either prove they exist, or don't. Don't "suppose" they are the same cities.

Quote:
There was even something on the History Channel a few months ago concerning Jericho, and they may have found that city.
Ummm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho

You mean one of the oldest and well known cities currently surviving to this day? Why yes, it does exist.

Quote:
You can argue it either way, but the people I'm referring to were not on LSD nor were they schizophrenics. Seriously, if what you say is what happened, why don't people report seeing lights while they are sedated?
Because sedation does not block oxygen from getting to the brain?
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_2699000565

And the people who have hallucinations or vivid dreams are also not on drugs or are schizo, but that still happens. Your brain does weird things, but that does not mean "god did it to my brain".

Quote:
Again explain the things mentioned in the Bible that they have actually been found...
Jericho? We have known Jericho existed for 9,000 years. Hardly news. Also, History Channel puts stuff up like "Ghost Hunters" and "Monster Quest", so I would fact check what that channel tells you because it has posted bizarre and blatantly unreasonable shows on a regular basis.

Then you claimed we found cities that the bible mentioned. Really? Wow. We found a few of the thousands of cities that existed at that time that just happened to be mentioned in a biblical scripture written and spread around at those times. Big surprise there.

And no, there is no proof of chariots as far as I know. We have the claims of criminals and gold diggers who have -claimed- to have found wheels, but never brought anything up to prove it.

You'll have to do better than that if you are to convince me that women were made from the rib of men.

Quote:
You're comparing apples to potatos.
And you are assuming just because it was written in a book that makes it true.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,