View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
King did read Gandhi, admired the man, and even quoted him, but King was motivated largely by his faith in Christ to do what he did.
I'm not sure how this refutes my point. I don't believe that "inspiration" works on the scarcity model or that people can only be "largely influenced" by one source. As always, I'm willing to entertain arguments to the contrary.

Quote:
His speeches and sermons (since he was a pastor) are filled with Biblical references, and his non-violence policy was based on Christ's example, as he stated.
Yep, I'm aware of this. I've heard all of Dr. King's speeches (well, the ones we have recordings of anyway). But the fact is that jesus was not the only game in town when it came to non-violence and we know that he was influenced by at least one other source. We can certainly branch this off into another thread, if you'd like, but for the purposes of the point I was making with regards to this topic, I think my point stands.

Quote:
Within the context of the culture and community of that time, King could not have done what he did without the backing of the Christian community of all races.
Probably true, but again, it seems irrelevant to the point I was making.

Quote:
Malcolm X tried to accomplish black rights through the black Muslim community but could not achieve what King and other leaders were able to accomplish.
I suppose the militant nature of the Muslim Brotherhood had no impact on that.
Achilles is online now   you may: quote & reply,