View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #312
KlaelDemon
Lurker

Current Game: Jade Empire
Today, I sure feel like the wet match in a dark cave...

Hello everyone! I haven't posted here often, so feel free to let me know if I'm posting in the wrong section.

My reason for posting today is I have a dilemma! A conundrum! An issue! A problem! An unforseeable barrier which stands in my way on the road I travel. I am a big fan of making use of mods to extend the experience of a game above and beyond their original bounds. I've made extensive use of mods for KOTOR, KOTOR II, and Oblivion, for my own enjoyment, and I wanted to do the same with Jade Empire. I hadn't played the game in quite a while, and had never really checked to see what the modding community for Jade Empire consisted of. Well lo and behold, I discovered that it's a tough nut to crack when it comes to modding, because mods for it are few and far between.

Now I come to the heart of my dilemma. I found several mods that seemed promising, amongst them several mods by Caramel Boy (Death's Hand Weapon Style, Fox Spirit Style, and Master Li's Magic Style), as well as a few others, such as the Elephant Demon and Moonlight mod, Boneseer's Monkey Paw style mod, and a slight mod for replacing the default staff choice with the Limited Edition's Tien's Justice. However, almost all of these mods make changes to both the dialog.tlk file, and a small number of .2da files in the override folder.

Now this is where I'm really in over my head. Although I make extensive use of mods for RPGs and am great at picking and choosing for sake of compatability and smooth gameplay, I have the technical savvy of a bumblebee, which is to say, none whatsoever. So I am stumped as to how to merge the .2da files and how to merge the dialog.tlk files to incorporate more then one mod. I've found mention by the mod authors that almost all of the ones I've chosen are compatible with each other, however, I certainly cannot just go around replacing each dialog.tlk and each .2da file with a new one, as I attempted that, and it confirmed my suspicions that it's an unviable method for mod compatability.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could take the time to let me know how to merge .2da files and the dialog.tlk file for Jade Empire, and to remember that I'm a bumble when it comes to modding processes, so I'd greatly appreciate as much indepth information as possible. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Edit: Heyo, it's me again! Sorry for posting again, I just forgot to mention a few things. I believe that the .2da files are in v2.0 format, whatever that means, because I attempted to use Stoffe's 2da Conversion/Merging tool to merge them, and it didn't work. I downloaded a text merger, WinMerge, however, reading through the help information, it seems to me the most ungodly complicated thing I have ever seen. Thanks again for reading my posts!

Last edited by RedHawke; 04-07-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Combining double post...
KlaelDemon is offline   you may: quote & reply,