View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #90
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Good lord, Astro. The point of watching TV on my laptop is that there's nothing near that reminds on anything home entertainment centre/TV screen like thing, sometimes not even a power outlet. Like my balcony, the backyard, bathroom, kitchen or my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Thats good Ray. Thank you for the info.

Read carefully, I wasnt countering, just listing some other apps, like the thread title states
Read carefully yourself, I just told you that you've missed my point about MythTV.

Quote:
Things are never so black and white Ray Not knowing what exists does not mean it doesn not exist
Things become quite black and white when we talk about a 2 PC + 1 tuner card + Linux only setup, Astro. I know I can buy tons of stuff and windows applications and whatnot, but I didn't want to, because I had everything that's needed. And I know very well my options when it comes to home theatre systems since mankind had Laserdiscs and THX. Been there, done that. There's no need to spend endless money when all that I want is to watch TV.

Quote:
ii) If you need wireless and have a 802.11n setup, best go with the linksys media center extender (which you can get for $95.00 USD) allows remote streming of live tv from the tuners over in your centralised media center pc. The wireless-n can handle 1080 broadcasts no sweat, and HDMI out gives you a dazzling pic on your TV. But the presence of older analog outputs(composite and s-video) means you can plug this gadget pretty much any TV(except really really old ones!!)

[...]

Alternatively,

iii) You could use an xbox 360, which has built in media center extender functionality to stream live tv from your media center pc.

>Both of these above options plug straight into your TV, and are much cheaper than a lappie.
More alternatively, instead of buying extra devices for some hundred bucks, use VLC and one of its remote control interfaces to stream multimedia content or live TV from your MCPC. Plus, most nVdia cards/laptops with an nVidia card have video/s-video/DVI/HDMI out connectors nowadays. :~~

Quote:
It all really depends on what your aims and budget are. If you are into gaming and already have a pc running vista, the xbox 360 gives you the most fun, with an almost effortless ease of setup. Something you cant easily say applies to a non Linux savvy user about Myth.
< tuner card + PC + http://mythbuntu.org/

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,