View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
LFN Staff Member 
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
technically good advice... for the time.
So are you implying that slavery is "relatively moral?" Or that beating someone so that they die a slow death is acceptable given the situation? I'm a little confused. I can't say I'd agree that we can simply say, "well, it was a different time so some really bad things were okay then."

As slavery was a common thing back then not beating them to death was actually a bit of good advice.
The advice is not to not beat them to death, but to not beat them immediately to death.

Now if you say it's good advice to OWN slaves... not in today's society. But then we have matured a great deal.
Agreed. Which is why I say that considering such a flawed and poorly written set of texts as the "inerrant word" of a god both preposterous and dangerous.

Besides, You have to look in the New Testament for Christian rules, as many of them overwrite the existing rules. Kinda like how a new law can override the older law.
Which highlights some flaws, because there is the no-small-matter of what is written in the NT. Jesus, the alleged christ, is alleged to have stated: "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You need to realize that men wrote the bible, and things could have been distorted...
I can agree with that. It has clearly become distorted, both intentionally and unintentionally. I also note that we're in agreement that biblical mythology is not the inerrant word of a god.

Though as Tommycat said, the New Testament overwrites stuff from the old Testament.
Not according to Jesus, the alleged christ. See above.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: