View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Is it? I don't think it is. You either love someone or you don't. No semantics involved.
Quote:
I don't think it is.
Quote:
I
Quote:
think
Question: how do we distinguish between something that is subjective and something that is objective.

Hint: is "l" and "think" language indicative of opinion (subjective) or fact (objective)?

Quote:
That's because "romantic love" is merely love mixed with lust.
That is your definition, sir, and you are welcome to it, as it has little bearing on my point (which is that your earlier definition is very narrow and misses much).

Quote:
They could, but then they wouldn't be describing love, now would they?
Sure they would. And the two of you could argue until the cows come home over which of you is right and which of you is wrong, but it wouldn't change that you were both subjectively defining the term to your suit your own means.

Quote:
OK, then how would you define it?
Main Entry: love
Pronunciation: \ˈləv\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lufu; akin to Old High German luba love, Old English lēof dear, Latin lubēre, libēre to please
Date: before 12th century

1 a (1): strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2): attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3): affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b: an assurance of love <give her my love>

2: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>

<snip>

4 a: unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another <snip>

<snip>

6: an amorous episode : love affair

7: the sexual embrace : copulation

<snip>

<snip>

Quote:
Because love is irrational,
Thank you for sharing that opinion with us.

Quote:
mainly because it is usually to the detriment of the one who loves,
Wow.

Quote:
and yet you acknowledge it and support it.
I'm not sure what this means. I acknowledge the phenomenon because it is observable. Would it be rational to do otherwise?

Quote:
Society generally encourages it as opposed to hate, an emotion that makes far more sense to me.
Opinion based on your own biases and experiences.

Quote:
My point is that something's being irrational doesn't automatically make it bad, or, more importantly, invalid.
Well, except for the whole "unable to establish any of this as being something other than your 2 cents" thing. Your whole point is based on your opinion and while I would never begrudge you your opinion, that doesn't mean that I have to find it persuasive.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-10-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,