View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #26
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Do you believe in love?
Basically, yes.

Quote:
<snip>

Simply put, I would define love as a willingness to put another's needs and desires before your own, and acting on it.
One definition, perhaps the truest. Least it works out that way when one looks for a lasting example.

Now: Is the thesis an explorative one or a definitive one?

Quote:
Last question: is love rational?
It depends on the type of love, which could be messy to sort out. It could be either one, but not both at the same time. All logic is truth, but not all truth is logical...

For those with no spirituality, I guess you could substitute that last one with:
All logic is truth, but not all truth necessarily makes sense.

In all seriousness, there are many cases in which the word love could be (and is) used. Context, situation, meanings, mindsets...we really could get technical I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
*brevity*
Main Entry: love
Pronunciation: \ˈləv\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lufu; akin to Old High German luba love, Old English lēof dear, Latin lubēre, libēre to please
Date: before 12th century

1 a (1): strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2): attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3): affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b: an assurance of love <give her my love>

2: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>

<snip>

4 a: unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another <snip>

<snip>

6: an amorous episode : love affair

7: the sexual embrace : copulation
Hmm, we turn to the dictionary. We could learn a lot from what is said by it. And even stuff from what isn't said.

Still, to be fair, we do need a rational compass. It certainly neatens things up and puts order and rationality to a subject which could become irrational all too easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Yes, of course. It is observable. Why wouldn't I believe that it exists?

I'll even agree that that particular flavor of love can lead to irrational behavior. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it exists, hence why this distraction has nothing to do with the topic we were originally discussing.

To recap: Yes, love exists. Yes, sometimes it manifests itself via irrational behavior. The 2nd point has absolutely nothing to do with the 1st. The 1st point, being an observable phenomenon, is not a valid analogy for the existence of god, an unobservable phenomenon. I hope that helps.
You don't believe in god? What a surprise.

@ thread

I guess I can endeavor to talk on the point of lasting love vs one night stand.

In a simple manner it is the continuum of one extreme to another. Could it be whatever you believe it to be? That's hard to answer. I could say no, but the infatuated would then disagree with me--perhaps even to gunpoint. I could say yes, but then those like Jae, and even my own parents would probably lecture me into the ground.

FTR I have my own position on this, but for the sake of debate and discourse (however you prefer, Q) I am going to play 's advocate.

I mean, who is to say what you think and feel at the moment isn't real; isn't true?

Who could truly say what the "truth" of such matters are? Whether or not it is true?

How objective is it? How subjective is it?

Over time, how can one tell it's true and not just some...circumstance or special phenomena?

What is it if it's static and long lasting? What is it if it's dynamic and short?

See what I mean? Love can be of limited time or timeless. Can be full or empty. Can be dull or dynamic. Long or short.

I guess my general answer is "It depends." There are many unknowns which would first need to be...known.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,