View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #32
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
The point that I was trying to make through this lengthy exercise is that irrationality does not automatically disqualify validity. That's all.
But you haven't done that.

Even if I were to accept that love was irrational (which I do not), that doesn't even begin to address the problem of validity. The real argument you're presenting is whether or not love itself is rational (which is debatable). What you aren't addressing is whether or not love exists. Love can be observed, so no rational person would question its existence. The "validity" of love never even comes up, therefore your argument can't possibly do what you think it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I wasn't trying to use the existence of love as analogy for the existence of God. I was only trying to make the above point.
With all due respect, you've failed miserably.

If you truly want to show that irrationality doesn't preclude validity, don't use something that can be empirically observed as a basis for your analogy. Furthermore, you're also dragging your personal bias that love is inherently irrational into your argument which seems to be preventing you from viewing the problem objectively. My 2 cents.

P.S. at the risk of putting my foot in my mouth by speaking for someone else, I don't think Skinwalker was arguing that love doesn't exist. I think he was simply pointing out that it's the product of a chemical reaction in the brain. Not the same thing.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,