View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #55
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
When you sound some of the words out, it helps us understand why we spell things the way we do today. There were a few words from Beowulf and other very early English writers that look very strange until you sound them out--then I could see the pattern develop that turned it into the modern equivalent. I was able to apply those pattern to similar words, and it helped with spelling.
If that is how Shakespare is taught in schools ( I have no experience with the american school system, and what I have of the British commes from my stay in South Africa), I have no problem with it. My experience however is that it doesen't happen, at least not in the Norwegian/South African system.

Quote:
I think issues of life and death are rather relevant for all of us at some point, don't you?
Yes, but I prefer to deal with those through research, if Shakespare is usefull to some in that situation, give them pointers.

Quote:
Shakespeare conveys a lot of insight on humanity in some very interesting plays and poetry.He's done it better than many other writers.
Agreed, though this effect is a bit reduced by his own succes, there are so much "plagiarized" from his work that most students have got much of the insight long before they are taught Shakespare.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,