View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #29
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
At 14 years-old, Quantel Lotts received a life sentence for murdering his step brother and was tried as an adult. He is expected to spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole.

I have issues with this because a 13 year-old (when he committed the crime) had been tried as an adult and received the same thing as a death sentence. His crime involved stabbing his victim 30 times... which obviously was heinous. He deserved a severe sentence, but the idea of life in prison without the possibility of parole for a 14-year old just goes too far.

He was under 18... not saying he was 'just a kid,' but that he would do more time because he was so young. If he lived to be 73(today's average), that means 59 years behind bars. Some have criticized that he should have gotten a lethal injection instead, but I find that is going just as far. He has served nearly a decade of that time at present.

This guy had only killed one person... he was not a serial killer. He was only 14, which meant that he could well could be rehabilitated by a few decades in prison. Although that one victim was killed brutally, that in itself didn't justify a death sentence. I think that he should have been given the possibility for parole because he was under 18. One or two decades behind bars is real time I seriously think that he should have been given a less severe sentence.

What do others think of this?

(I realize that I must have come across a very old source. I hadn't realized that this took place nearly a decade ago. I really need to read the dates properly.)
I agree with you for the most part, 14 is a young age you're still growing up not saying that murdering someone is okay because of said age but there is a fine line between killing someone at 14 with the mentality of a 14-year old and killing someone at say 25 with and adult mentality.

For the most part I just have to sympathize with the taxpayers who are surely paying for this kid's (now adult man I suppose) life stay at jail, which isn't cheap. For the second instance I had described I would probably be partial to agreeing for a death row sentence, but being the age of 14 at the time when the murder was done there's no saying that he hasn't made a full 180 as Darth Yuthura had previously mentioned.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,