View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #109
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker View Post
Looking at the Table Talk letters, clearly Hitler had some mixed thoughts about Religion and spirituality. He was definitely critical of the way Jewish people worshiped: And he was critical of believers in church dogma: But then you stumble across something like: In the quote above he seems to hold an a priori acceptance of not just a god, but "God" with the capital "G." He also indicates that he believes in "true piety" and that God can be "everywhere."

He also seems to hold an acceptance that "Christ" was a real person: "Christ was an Aryan,..." (Hitler, Table Talk, 143). And he also expressed his interest in biblical mythology, particularly those "delicate topics": Two things can be derived from this quote (assuming these are his true words): 1) he spent a lot of time analyzing the parts of biblical mythology that most theologians avoid (i.e. genocides and democides); 2) he was once a Christian. The quote below shows his belief in God (with the capital "G") at the time of World War II: He sees a god as existing and superior to humanity. He just doesn't believe that modern organized religious dogma has it right.

Hitler makes many comments and statements that affirm his belief in a god, but rejects the Judeo-Christian version of religion as flawed, a lie, etc. If we take his private letters as evidence (and I see no reason not to), we can conclude that Hitler was a Christian at least until 1933 (p. 343); that he believes in a god, possibly the Christian god; that he was not an atheist. At best, Hitler is a pantheist, believing god is in "everything," but other notions he writes of divinity and superiority seem to indicate a monotheistic god.
Basically as I had said at around post 11(I think it was 11, gosh two pages later and we're finally getting to what I said on page 1) that while he does not appear to have been an atheist, he does seem to cast off the Christian moniker. At best the Christians could call him an Agnostic. Which is fair. I don't mind that Hitler shared my "religion" because his actions are independent of my spirituality. They have no bearing on agnostics as a whole.

Hitler talks highly of God, but talks poorly about Christianity. So without a replacement religion, we can assume that Christianity and Judaism are off his list(and Satanism as well, as he would be praising Satan rather than calling the positive deity God).

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,