View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #135
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
So, if gays are to be officially allowed to marry, why not the other? No one, including Skin, has provided a reason why gay marriage is so important as an issue that the consideration should end there.
He did, actually. You don't get to say 'nuh-uh' without directly refuting his points. It's a most Garfield-esque tactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
No fallacies were successfully demonstrated.
Again, you don't just get to say 'no' without backing it up. Allowing gay marriage does not logically cause the legalization of polygamy. You have yet to show how it does because that is the entire crux of your argument. Until you do so, you have committed a fallacy and are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Also, my point about societal norms, which clearly went over both yours and r9's head, was related to the subject. You don't need to have the majority of society believe something is ok for it to be enacted into law. Just enough of a plurality. For something to be considered normal by society is different altogether. So, you get an F for comprehension and sloppy logic.
I understood your point about societal norms. It is true that most of society doesn't consider 'homosexuality' normal and that change will likely come slowly. But this is still not a reason to deny homosexual marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Is ours not a large population? Roughly even split, that it may be. I know, it just... pisses you off. Regardless your feelings on the matter, ce' la vie, this is the way it is.
For now, it's the way it is. However, the proposition before Prop 8 that did away with gay marriage, Proposition 22 in 2000, passed with a 61/39 split. Given the fact that Prop 8 passed with a 52/48 split, it stands to reason that the population is changing their opinion on it. Not quite in the right way yet, but it'll happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity
Hope? Certainly your prerogative and I'm not taking anything away from that at all. However, I do recall the vaunted Asian societies so many here seem to hold high (TBH myself included at times) have a little something to say about hope. It was in some famous work, The Art of War, Book of five rings, something like that. What IT was, was that 'hope' (as opposed to contentment and happiness with what you are already given in your everyday life) leads to unrealistic expectations and a growing sort of want similar to hunger. A hunger I might also add builds upon itself and is NEVER satisfied...not all that different from the wanting that (left unchecked) snowballs into greed. Basically: Hope leads to insatiable wanting...an argument of the very same for greed I could see even you using against corporate greed and other things. Just something to consider.
I'm sorry, did you just tell me not to hope because some old dead Asian guy made some existential comment on hope? You'll forgive me if I think this is a load of crock.

Quote:
Besides, I don't see you getting all ruffled up about it when it just so happens to go favorably your way.
I am ecstatic when a decision is made to give people their rights back.

Quote:
So what are you getting all fluffed up like a turkey for? You want to change it and override the vote now? ...yet you accuse your opposition of wanting to be tyrants.
Where did I say this? Please point it out to me.

Quote:
Similarly to how you'd say to the opposition, I have for you: That's the way the cookie crumbles. It was a vote, and a vote you lost. Be a sport. Get over it.
I'll remember this. I'll remember to say it to you when the time comes that people see reason and vote to give homosexual couples their rights back.

Quote:
Then you might be interested to know that back in the 60's, gays demanded that they be treated different because they were different. Now they want it all the same again? There is an expression called having your pie and eating it too...Just by-the-by. I'd like to throw it in right here. That's exactly what this is.
I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain this more fully because I have no idea what point you're trying to make here, other than 'gays shut up because you're queer'.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,