View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #154
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Actually, you're incorrect. He merely pronounced sentence on Garf and called him ignorant. There was effectively nothing to refute.
Except for when SkinWalker showed how one does not logically cause the other, rendering Garfield's arguments fallacious? Logic does not hold that polygamy follows gay marriage, which was Garfy's entire argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Once again, you (and that *asshat* _EW_---coming from him that's probably a compliment ) are quick to slot people's arguments into your little pigeon hole w/regard to what they said. I've no obligation to defend myself against such strawmen. Read what I wrote and stop imposing your agenda driven inferences about what I said and then we can continue. Till then, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Then you clearly missed the point. My point wasn't whether or not societal norms were a reason to legalize anything. I demonstrated that as well. You're clearly viewing everything only through the lens that it's a direct argument for or against. Given that you never set really tight parameters for the discussion in your initial post, you'll have to forgive me for thinking the conversation was a little more nuanced than that.
Please restate your arguments for me, then. Clearly I missed them somehow. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Well, surprise, surprise. The slippery slope argument doesn't apply. The argument made is basically based on the concept of "equal protection under the law". How allowing homosexuals the right to marry but not polygamists is merely replacing one form of bigotry for another. How rational is that when we're talking about consenting adults? Why would that even bother you anyway? You don't like polygamy?
Again, gay marriage has nothing to do with polygamy. If you'd like to discuss polygamy there is a thread on it already, so please do it there. Any further mention of polygamy in this thread will be deleted as spam.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,