View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #26
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
With your million dollar comment how do you know I'm not holding a billion dollars.
You didn't answer my question.

I don't know that you're not holding a billion dollars. The fact is that I'm going to be skeptical of the claim and probably require some sort of evidence before I accept that you are, in fact, holding a billion dollars in your hand.

Same thing goes for any claim. The more fantastic the claim, the better the evidence has to be. The more important or relevant the claim is, the greater amount of scrutiny the evidence will need to be subjected to.

If I were to blindly accept that you had a billion dollars just because you said so and I couldn't prove that you didn't have a billion dollars, then I would be making a serious error in reasoning and judgment and my peers would correctly think me to be a fool.

Yet billions of people around the world accept that jesus christ was the son of god, came to earth and died for our sins, and that only through him can one gain eternal salvation...and there isn't single shred of evidence that even hints that any of it is true. But believing it anyway is considered to be the best thing one can possibly do within that culture. Right.

Quote:
Again my point is one side's faith is another side's lack of proof.
Wrong. Burden of proof doesn't work like that.

Christians aren't justified in believing whatever they want until someone comes along and proves those beliefs are false. And a lack of faith doesn't require any faith at all. So your argument falls apart in both directions.

Quote:
Again religon doesn't care about proof since they operate on the idea of faith.
Right. See above.

Quote:
Science operates on the scientic principal of proof.
Nope. Last I checked "proof" was a mathematical term. Science deals with models of understanding based on evidence and observation.

Quote:
Science wants religon to provide proof because they are judging them based on their thought process.
Yeah, crazy. Only wanting to accept that which can be demonstrated to be real. What a bunch of wackos.

Quote:
Religon is doing the same to science.
Wut?

Quote:
They think Science should have a little faith.
Okay fine. Why is this a good thing? And have a little faith in what? Russell's teapot? The flying spaghetti monster? That a million angels can dance on the head of a pin? What precisely should science-minded people have a little bit of faith in?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,