Thread: Power Question
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Upgraditis is a common disease.

Really, though, you could definitely use a better CPU, and an E8400 or E8500 would fit the bill nicely. The cheapest I've seen the E8400 was $120.00, but that was an in-store deal at Microcenter, and those stores are few and far between. Fry's Electronics has also had some pretty sick deals on CPUs in the past.

Newegg and some of the other e-tailers have good deals from time to time. The best thing to do would be to sign up for Newegg's email newsletter and wait for a deal on an E8400 or E8500 so you won't have to pay full price for it. The problem is that good sales on those full-cache Wolfdale 6Ms are very seldom. They're in high demand right now because people are doing exactly what you're thinking of doing. I'll keep an eye out for you, and if I find any deals on CPUs I'll let you know.

As far as video cards go, right now there's an awesome deal on an HD4890 if you don't mind ATI or jumping through some hoops. The coupon code is "vgabailout" for an extra $20.00 off of that $215.99 after rebate price, taking it down to $195.99 and purchasing it through Live.com's cashback program will reduce it another 5% off the regular price ($11.80) bringing the final cost to $184.19 shipped.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,