Thread: Sheriff Joe
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Sheriff Joe isn't TECHNICALLY breaking the law. He pulls them over for a minor infraction. So the questions regarding breaking a law to enforce the law are irrelevant to the topic.
Racial profiling is not illegal, but it sure as hell is unethical.

Quote:
It's about the same as asking someone to open their trunk when you catch them speeding.
Hmmm, you'll have to refresh my memory on this one. Pretty sure a cop needs probable cause in order to be able to search a vehicle without a warrant.

Sure they ask, and yeah it's a good idea to say "yes", but you can also say "no" and be within your rights. Of course don't expect to get away with a warning if you jerk the officer around just to "flex" your rights.

Quote:
That's why it's ok Achilles.
I guess I'm still not convinced. Illegal immigrants come in all shapes, colors, and sizes. As do U.S. citizens. I'm not buying that it's okay that Sheriff Joe drives into Avondale, pulls over a dozen latin americans (who are all citizens) for "broken windshields", but lets a dozen vehicles driven by caucasians (who are canadians with expired visas) with broken windshields go on their merry way.

You're saying that police officers are within their rights to pull over anyone with "broken windshield" and I agree. However I think once you start discriminating between which "broken windshields" justify a stop and which ones don't (and the basis is race), then you have a problem. I'm not asking you to clarify what is currently legal. I'm asking your to distinguish between right and wrong.

Quote:
Honestly, I think it would be just fine to check the legal status of all persons pulled over. Much like the warrant check they do every time you get a ticket.
Emphasis on "all persons pulled over".
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,