View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
which subject? You accused me of being a party hack. You went on a tangent.
No tangent. Unlike what you're doing, I actually addressed the points that were raised. I tend to quote the points that I'm addressing in my response to help alleviate any potential sources of confusion, yet here you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I pointed out the failure in your logic of assuming that I somehow just now started disliking partisan politics just because it's democratic control.
On the contrary, you posted some claims. Unfortunately for me they are claims that I have no way to disprove. However because I don't trust you any further than I could throw you, I don't accept them either.

Claims don't = "pointing out failure of logic", nor do they = refutation of my points. Yes, it's possible that what you said regarding your voting history is true, but dispite what you might think, that doesn't change anything about what happens today. Nor would it make any impact on the argument that Democratic controlled government is just as bad as Republican controlled government, if that is in fact what you offering, per Q's interpretation.

So that leaves us right where we were: My unaddressed points in post #11 and your attempts to change the subject in post #12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I can't speak for Tommy, but it is my belief that similar Democratic control will lead to similar disaster in the form of a bigger, even more corrupt government and reduced freedoms.
Okay. Like what?

Quote:
I hope that this is not the case, and it appears that your party now its chance to prove itself.
Technically, I'm an Independent

Quote:
I wish it luck, but I can't help but think that it will trip over it's own self-defeating corruption and fall flat on its face just like the Republican Party did, which will, of course, lead to a massive shift to the right at the voting booth and start the whole wasteful cycle of gridlock over again.
Of course that's possible, however there's a huge difference between "possible" and "likely". You seem to feel that the latter is more appropriate. I'm just trying to understand why.

Quote:
It was certainly in better shape than it is now, yes. I've never suggested that it wasn't, especially when compared to when Bush II left, but his solutions were short-term, and with nasty consequences that we are now having to deal with.
By "his" I'm assuming that you're referring to Clinton?

How do factor out the last 8 years in that analysis?

Quote:
He sold us out to the Chinese and began the crippling of our manufacturing base and the attendant job loss through outsourcing as well as our almost total reliance on cheap foreign consumer goods produced by near-slave labor, but I'd be fooling myself if I were to believe that a Republican administration wouldn't have done exactly the same thing.
He did that huh?

Here I thought businesses were private in our free market economy and CEOs reported to boards rather than the Executive branch

Perhaps I'll go through some of my old business books and find case studies about companies were chomping at the bit to get a piece of the new China market.

Quote:
Like I said: neither party has the nation's best interests at heart.
Again, I'll have to hear your arguments before I'll be able to see where you're coming from.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-28-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Response for Qliveur
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,