Thread: Sheriff Joe
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #34
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I don't see how. If the law states that an officer can search a vehicle if they can show probable cause, then searching a vehicle after establishing probable cause is within the law. Not the same thing as breaking the law to catch a lawbreaker.

The problem with using the ends to justify the means is that it puts things on a very shaky foundation. Kinda like dating a guy/girl that broke up with his/her boy/girlfriend to be with you. Sure you're getting some now, but you're a fool if you think that person is loyal or can be trusted. I may decide that I want to be on the Sheriff Joe bandwagon and cheer him on as he uses questionable methods to bust illegals, but how do I know that he won't use similarly questionable methods to violate my rights later?
I don't understand how it is that if Arpaio is pulling over minorities for spurious reasons, that he'd come after you when he's "done", isn't a slippery slope.

Quote:
White people not from here come in more flavors that just "Canadian". If we want to make immigration status standard operating procedure for every stop, that's one thing. If we want to harass brown people on the basis of their being brown, then that's another. If I was a 3rd generation citizen and I got pulled over on a "immigration round-up" you'd better believe I would be pissed off. And I'm willing to bet that if you really thought about it, you would be too.
Well, then I guess I'll modify my prior statement to that: We should just step up immigration enforcement in general so that none get through. My apologies.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,