View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Everyone should disregard Tommycat, as he clearly is the one who has no idea what he's talking about. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in nature; how could it not be readily available? Given as you need an electrolyzing unit, the question of hydrogen becoming more readily available depends upon whether there is a source of energy to power the electrolyzing unit that strips the hydrogen atoms from water molecules.
Apparently you are not aware that free(meaning unbonded) hydrogen is not readily available. You can't go to your local shell and fill up on hydrogen. But feel free to pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about. Please explain to me how you could get a tank full of hydrogen readily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
The Apollo spacecraft used fuel cells for power in the 1960's and 70's. Was it practical for that purpose? Most definitely.

Is is practical for America on a scale such as gasoline? By no means would that be likely to happen. It will likely serve a purpose that siphons excess energy on a limited scale where it otherwise would be wasted. If a wind turbine produces more excess energy than is demanded, it's wasted. Having an electrolyzing unit with energy sources like wind would allow for a more reliable and stable flow of energy from otherwise unreliable powerplants. Other methods ranged to pumping ground water into dried valleys and installing hydro electric dams.
Because the difference in power required for the Apollo capsules required less energy than even the cheapest Nokia cell phone. It's still a developing technology. Would the Apollo computer be practical for surfing the web?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by mimartin; 04-30-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: removed quoted flamebait
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,